To make most out of these sessions, JASPERS will present its advisory support to cities and regions. Participating cities and regions can expect to have an active role in moderated sessions and smaller break-out sessions. In particular, the interface between cities’ (technical) needs and JASPERS technical assistance will be explored to see how cities can benefit from JASPERS advisory support.
These events serves to:
- pinpoint cities’ and regions’ technical issues with regards tackling their specific urban challenges
- frame smarter and more sustainable urban development in which smart cities are regarded as a particular modality
- discuss spatial and sector-specific topics related to actions of the EU Urban Agenda from a municipal perspective,
- give an overview of the available ESIF budget available for urban development tasks and
- outline the way JASPERS may support the preparation of strategies, plans, projects or programmes in the areas of its competence, irrespective of their scale or financial volume including, for example, urban regeneration, social housing, smart city development, smart and sustainable urban mobility, waste management and energy efficiency.
The workshops are open to national ministries working on smarter and more sustainable development, regional authorities tasked to implement plans and projects in urban areas and local authorities/municipalities preparing and implementing plans and projects for city development.
The JASPERS/CoR events will complement the Urban Development Network (UDN) workshops that DG REGIO is organising during the coming months. The choice of the appropriate format and location is therefore important and will reflect the technical issues facing the co-hosting cities.